Booting Pandaboard from SD card

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 13 04:49:30 EDT 2011

Hi,
currently I try to get a Pandaboard to boot out of Barebox, so far I
got Barebox up and running.

For testing purpose I'd like to boot from a SD card, optimal would be
if I could set up the card like the description in the Omappedia
tutorial [1].
Is there a tutorial how to set up barebox to boot from SD cards?

What I already tried:

In the configuration file from arch/arm/boards/panda/env is the
description for a network boot configuration,
I used this file to start out and wanted to boot from the barebox prompt.

Barebox is build from my toolchain and i copy the MLO file, the
barebox.bin and the bareboxenv file to the boot partition of the card.
For convenience I currently use a precompiled MLO that has been made
for u-boot thus I just renamed the barebox.bin file to u-boot.bin.

On startup the following messages were displayed:
-
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.1 (Sep  6 2011 - 13:37:48)
Reading boot sector

barebox 2011.10.0 (Oct 13 2011 - 09:45:17)

Board: Texas Instrument's Panda
PandaBoard Revision: 003
ehci at ehci0: USB EHCI 1.00
Malloc space: 0x8d000000 -> 0x8f000000 (size 32 MB)
Stack space : 0x8cff8000 -> 0x8d000000 (size 32 kB)
running /env/bin/init...
not found
-
For me it looks like i forgot to copy a file or something, any advice?

Although booting the uImage with bootm looks ok it won't work, the
following message was displayed:
-
Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Image Name:   Angstrom/2.6.35.7/omap4430-panda
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3688408 Bytes =  3.5 MB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
OK

Starting kernel ...

commandline: <NULL>
arch_number: 2791
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
-
The screen just stays blank after the last message.
This looks to me like it is (obviously) caused by an incorrect
environment loaded.

Help would be appreciated.

[1] http://www.omappedia.com/wiki/Minimal-FS_SD_flashing (using 2
partitions, one for boot files and the other for the rootfs)

--
Regards
Samuel