[RFC] S3C24xx: Fixing the NAND handling

Juergen Beisert jbe at pengutronix.de
Mon Mar 7 08:24:13 EST 2011

Hi,

anyone here with an idea how to fix this:

The NAND support for the S3C24xx CPU seems totally broken in the current
kernel:

 - the driver's local OOB layout for small page NANDs overwrites the vendors
   bad block marker (a really bad idea!)
 - the ECC setup for large page NANDs violates NANDs partial write count (it
   forces 8 partial writes instead of allowed 4 per 2048 byte page)

How to adapt barebox according to the kernel? If we do OOB and ECC setup
correctly in barebox, the mainline kernel cannot work with this data. If we
do it in the same way than the kernel, we lose the bad block markers or do
more writes than the manufacturer allows for reliable data security.

Changing the kernel is also hard to do, because it breaks existing software
installations which should just run with more recent kernels.

jbe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | Phone: +49-8766-939 228     |