Nand support on STM/i.MX (especially iMX23)

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Thu Dec 23 08:15:54 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 03:07:37PM +0200, Baruch Siach wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 01:15:51PM +0100, Gregory CLEMENT wrote:
> > I planned to add NAND support for iMX23 (which should work for
> > iMX28). But this time before starting writing this driver I would
> > like to know if someone is already working on it. If it is the case
> > I would like to be involved in this development to bring my help.
> > If it is not the case, I considered to start from the driver
> > supplied by freescale on thir 2.6.31 kernel. Is it a good choice?
> > Have you some advice to give me?
>
> In my opinion it should be easier to start with Freescale's 2.6.35
> based kernel from branch imx_2.6.35_10.10.01 in
> http://opensource.freescale.com/pub/scm/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git, since
> it is closer to newer kernels.

We are working on more mainline support for all kinds of peripherals for
the MX23 and MX28, but until now, nobody has started with NAND yet.

As far as I remember, the FSL code was really, really uggly, so it will
probably need an experienced look at the design. I suppose that there
will be not much activity over the holidays, so if you want to go ahead,
keep the list informed.

rsc