more CONFIG oddities in the current barebox tree

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Dec 21 04:37:09 EST 2009

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Sascha Hauer wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 07:08:02AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   here's a short list of Makefile CONFIG tests that test for
> > non-existent CONFIG variables -- not strictly an error, just
> > valueless and can be removed if there's no compelling reason to
> > keep them.  (as always, could be trivial false positives).
> >
> > ===== CMD_I2C =====
> > ./commands/Makefile:obj-$(CONFIG_CMD_I2C)		+= i2c.o
>
> This can be removed.

  ... snip ...

just to be clear, if such a reference to a non-existent CONFIG
variable can be removed from a Makefile, that normally implies that
what it was managing (the source file) can *also* be removed since
there will, of course, be nothing to force its compilation.

  in the above case, there just happens to be no file i2c.c in that
directory so it's not a problem, but if there had been, the patch to
take care of this would have involved deleting that source file.  as
long as we understand that.

  i may remove the removable stuff in more than one patch if they look
like logically separate operations.

rday