is barebox meant to be the next generation of u-boot?

Robert Schwebel r.schwebel at pengutronix.de
Sat Dec 19 16:49:19 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 03:56:29AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i just want to clarify the direction of barebox -- is it meant to
> eventually supplant u-boot? i ask since i want to know if it's not
> worth investing much more time in u-boot (v1) if things are eventually
> going to switch over to barebox.

When starting the activities, we had the intention to be a next
generation technology project, being part of the u-boot project.
However, things didn't seem to have progressed into that direction over
the last two years, so we had to move on. We have a new name for the
project now, which does already give the project a better exposure in
the community.

>   specifically, i want to use it on my beagleboard, so i "git" checked
> out the source for barebox, configured it for the beagle, built it
> with the denx "arm-linux-" toolchain and it booted. i haven't got any
> further than that so far but that's all i was after -- just getting it
> to boot to the barebox prompt.
>
>   at this point, if barebox is merely *adequate* to do what i want and
> supports booting my beagleboard fully, is there any reason i don't
> just move to it entirely, knowing it does what i need and it's only
> going to get better?  thanks.

If it boots and has everything you need, why not?

However, any contribution is welcome.

rsc