[[RFC] 00/14] Bring in x86 support into 'barebox'

Mike Frysinger vapier.adi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:09:25 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:55, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> grub works but is braindead (I can't understand how could they make it
> work, given the quality of code). While I use it for my diskless pc's, it
> made me mad more than once.

200% on this from a distro (Gentoo) POV

>> and the whole CoreBOOT project
>> whose aim is to replace commercial BIOS products.
>
> it's still the bios. A crappy environment, and most people don't want
> to risk bricking the pc just to get a bios instead of a bios.

this is the reason i havent flashed my mobo's with coreboot ... well,
that and every time i look at the status page, there's a "Works *"
next to my mobo and the "*" isnt something minor like "cannot change
color of font".  by the time the "*" goes away, i've already upgraded
:/.

> While I would never have done that myself, and in general I agree with
> you, if the internal design of barebox allows a bios-hosted
> environment, such an effort is more than welcome, and I'm eager to
> test it and say bye to grub as soon as possible.

if barebox had the portability (one build image works on the majority
of x86 desktops) and functionality of grub (mbr + 2nd stage in random
fs), i'd switch to it on my desktop too
-mike