RFC: Name of the command to boot a linux kernel on x86

Juergen Beisert jbe at pengutronix.de
Thu Dec 3 10:32:01 EST 2009

Hi,

on ARM we are using the "bootm <image>" command to load a Linux kernel with
uimage format into memory and to run it.

AFAIK there is no in kernel support to also generate this kind of format for
x86 architecture kernels. On x86 the zImage and bzImage formats are the
common ones and must be handled completely different than the uimage format
to make them work at runtime.

Should we hide the different handling by providing an x86 specific version of
the "bootm" command or should we add a new command that deals with bzImage's
special requirements?

jbe

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Beisert             |
Linux Solutions for Science and Industry      | Phone: +49-8766-939 228     |