BCM5354 SoC with LP Phy Wifi

Hauke Mehrtens hauke at hauke-m.de
Sun Jan 29 18:33:26 EST 2012

On 01/29/2012 11:12 PM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> I got a device with a BCM5354 SoC and a LP-Phy Wifi core on it. With
> current b43 it still fails with Out of memory when using a recent
> firmware 666.2 and works with an old firmware 410.2160. I tried DMA and
> PIO mode and had the same results. I added some printk's into the code
> and implemented some parts b43 does not have but the Braodcom sdk and
> brcmsmac has in the dma code, but I haven't resolved the issue.
>
> I found out the error occurs when send some packages doing "ifconfig
> wlan0 up" does not result in any problems, but when I try to scan with
> "iw wlan0 scan" it oopes very soon. The problem seams to be related to
> TX as there are many packages received, but the oops occurs after 4
> calls to b43_dma_tx()
>
> Larry, you wrote some more LP spec based on a newer driver is there a
> list with updated docs or should I manually look into all packages if I
> want to implement it like it is in the new wl driver.
> As I see there are also many parts not implemented, but described in the
> spec so looking over the hole code is probably needed.
> My device has a sprom of revision 3 and not the expected version 8, does
> this cause any trouble?
>
> Hauke.
My device is the following:

ssb: Core 0 found: ChipCommon (cc 0x800, rev 0x14, vendor 0x4243)
ssb: Core 1 found: Fast Ethernet (cc 0x806, rev 0x09, vendor 0x4243)
ssb: Core 2 found: MIPS 3302 (cc 0x816, rev 0x08, vendor 0x4243)
ssb: Core 3 found: USB 2.0 Host (cc 0x819, rev 0x02, vendor 0x4243)
ssb: Core 4 found: MEMC SDRAM (cc 0x80F, rev 0x04, vendor 0x4243)
ssb: Core 5 found: IEEE 802.11 (cc 0x812, rev 0x0D, vendor 0x4243)
ssb: Core 6 found: Roboswitch (cc 0x81C, rev 0x02, vendor 0x4243)

b43-phy0: Broadcom 5354 WLAN found (core revision 13)
b43-phy0 debug: Found PHY: Analog 6, Type 5, Revision 0
b43-phy0 debug: Found Radio: Manuf 0x17F, Version 0x2062, Revision 1

When doing a passive scan with iw it works without any problems and I
get my results without any kernel oops, but when doing an active scan I
get an oops.

Hauke