poor performance with BCM4331 and 3.2

George Masgras gmasgras at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:48:25 EST 2012

Hello,
 I've been having issues with getting the b43 driver to work reliably
in Ubuntu 11.10 on a MacbookPro 8,1.  The problem is that the driver
seems to be losing connection very often, especially when I have
multiple programs hitting the net. (s.a. Spotify, Firefox and Chrome),
sometimes even causing kernel panics( pre kernel 3.2 final). I'm now
using kernel 3.2 vanilla with compat-wireless-2012-01-03 compiled on
top and I haven't gotten a kernel panic yet but I will post it if I
do.
I've also noticed that the less people in the office using WIFI, the
more stable the connection is (there are ~25 people in the whole
office using WIFI,  10 of them in the same room as me).
Wicd reports between 80-100% signal strength and the encryption is
WPA2 PSK. The AP is a PepWave AP One (3.1.0) and it is behind a wall,
in a room 15ft away from my desk.

more info:

$ uname -a:
Linux geomas-MacBookPro 3.2.0-custom #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 5 11:14:09
PST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ sudo lspci -vvn|grep 43 -A7:
03:00.0 0280: 14e4:4331 (rev 02)
        Subsystem: 106b:00d6
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 256 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
        Region 0: Memory at a0600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/0zAQzwVY

kern.log:
http://pastebin.com/Ncf21bWY