unable to write flashrom, functionality broken?

Michael Büsch mb at bu3sch.de
Thu Feb 3 17:49:50 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 23:34 +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Michael Büsch wrote:
> > > Well something is causing the failure and if the ubuntu/linux code-
> > > base wasn't such a mess I'd go through and fix it myself.
> >
> > I'm wondering to what mess you are referring.
>
> For someone whose only exposure to Linux is picking up a Ubuntu CD
> a Linux system as a whole is a horrible mess. Part of it is the fact
> that so many different components (packages if you like) are
> involved, and there's no way to document all of that so well in a
> single page executive summary, rather it's more like a week
> curriculum.

I'm not convinced that this is due to the Linux architecture
or a lack of its documentation.
You're simply unaware of the basic Unix tools that help you find
what you are searching for. Luckily the tool to find something
is called "find".

mb at maggie:~/develop/git/wireless-testing$ find . -name '*sprom*'
./include/config/ssb/sprom.h
./drivers/ssb/sprom.o
./drivers/ssb/sprom.c
./drivers/ssb/.sprom.o.cmd
./arch/mips/include/asm/mipsprom.h

You'll note that this pretty generic "find" run on the _whole_ Linux
kernel yields exactly one .c source file. And guess what, it's the one
you're looking for ;)

> It's very easy to explain the neccessary parts to someone skilled,
> it's also easy to discover independently for the skilled person, but
> doing that discovery alone will take a long time.

Searching the kernel source tree for the term "sprom" isn't rocket
science and doesn't consume much of your valuable time. q.e.d.

If you still think that there's a lack of documentation, please
contribute to the Linux wireless documentation wiki. I'd be happy to
see you share your knowledge with newbies.

--
Greetings Michael.