4331 support

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Thu Aug 25 18:52:33 EDT 2011

On 08/25/2011 05:38 PM, james at jamesanslow.net wrote:
> Can anyone provide me with an update as to the current status of BCM 4331
> support? Is support going to be coming eventually? Is anyone working on it?

If you pull the wireless-testing git tree, it is working, perhaps with minor
changes. See a recent mail message:

Awesome guys,
thanks for the pointers, it worked! (i m sending this email using the b43 driver!)

I used the wireless-next git, and then additionally applied the "b43: HT-PHY:
allow writing longer tables with a single call" patch.
(and the ones in Rafal's last mail)

Thanks for the great support and fast answers!
Congratulations on hacking a driver like this together, I am impressed!

Best regards,
Maxime

2011/8/22 Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com>

     Hi Maxime,

     2011/8/22 Maxime Vincent <maxime.vince at gmail.com>:
     > I'm sorry if this is a noobish question, or asking this kind of questions is
     > not done.
     > I'm not really familiar with dev mailing lists.
     > I'm new to kernel development, not new to linux.
     >
     > I was wondering what the status of support for the 4331 wifi chipset was?
     > As I can see there's already quite some code for the 4331 chipset, but I
     > can't really make up from that if it's supposed to work or not, or maybe
     > partially?
     >
     > I have compiled latest linux-next kernel including the b43 driver, extracted
     > firmware, but I can't seem to see an interface registering.
     > Only thing I can see in dmesg:
     > Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMNLS, Firmware-ID:  FW13 ]

     I'm going to clean HT-PHY (BCM4331) support in about a week, as David
     wrote, it should be quite stable.

     Most of the patches are already in wireless-next, I just need to test
     that tree, see if everything was sent&applied correctly and drop
     BROKEN from B43_PHY_HT.

     If you're "brave" enough, you can:
     1) Edit Kconfig and drop BROKEN from B43_PHY_HT
     2) Edit dma.h and define B43_DMA_RINGMEMSIZE to "2 * PAGE_SIZE"
     (or just wait a week).