problem with b43

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Fri Sep 24 13:21:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 07:06:17PM +0200, Gábor Stefanik wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Cyrille <cyrille at cbiot.fr> wrote:
> > Hi
> > I've got a problem with a broadcom 4312 [12e4:4315].
> > The environment :
> > ===========================
> > uname -a
> > 2.6.35.5-libre.29.fc14.x86_64

> > Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMLS, Firmware-ID: FW13 ]
> > ssb0:0: Missing Free firmware
> > b43-phy4 ERROR: Rejected non-Free firmware
> > ssb0:0: Missing Free firmware
> > b43-phy4 ERROR: Rejected non-Free firmware
>
> Compile compat-wireless to bypass the "free-only" patch in Fedora.
>
> (John, are you still maintaining the Fedora kernel's wireless part? If
> so, please kill this "freedom enforcement"!)

This isn't a Fedora kernel.  I'm guessing it is from "Free-dora"
by way of BLAG, and I have no control over it -- sorry.

Cyrille, did you try b43-openfwwf?  If that doesn't work, then you
will need to use extracted proprietary firmware with some other kernel
(e.g. stock Fedora) or you will have to live without b43.

John