Recent results with BCM4312 on Netbook

William Bourque william.bourque at polymtl.ca
Tue Jun 22 14:10:39 EDT 2010

> My first discovery is that if PIO mode is to be used, it is not sufficient
> to load the module with the "pio=1" option, but that both "qos=0" and
> "nohwcrypt=1" options must also be used, at least for WPA/WPA2 networks.
> No other combination works. In addition, the automatic failover to PIO
> mode does not work unless those two options were used when the module was
> loaded. Thus both of the following work:
>
> modprobe b43 pio=1 qos=0 nohwcrypt=1
> modprobe b43 qos=0 hwcrypt=1

Interresting information.

Using "qos=0" and "nohwcrypt=1" effectively fixes the problem I had to
connect to some access points. I could test it for two AP I knew to be
wrong and I am now able to connect.

The strange part is that I was having a similar problem with broadcom
proprietary driver, it is possible that the misbehave of b43 was messing
up something in a way that even wl wasn't able to operate then?  All
modules were unloaded before trying, but I didn't bother to cold reboot
the notebook.
It is also a bit weird that the problem was only on some AP.

Thank you

- William