[14e4:4315] Dell Studio 1735, rfkill problem

Grygoriy Fuchedzhy grygoriy.fuchedzhy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 19:30:03 EDT 2010

2010/4/24 Gábor Stefanik <netrolller.3d at gmail.com>
> Check compat-wireless; IIRC LP-PHY rfkill support has been updated in 2.6.34.
>
> BTW, does software-rfkill (using the rfkill command-line utility) work
> correctly?
> Specifically, the following scenarios are interesting:
> -With the hardware-rfkill switch ON (i.e. radio enabled), try to bring
> down the card using the rfkill utility. Does the card actually stop
> transmitting?
> -Try to turn it back on. Is the interface usable again?
> -Turn the hardware switch OFF, and back ON. Then, use rfkill to
> soft-disable and re-enable the card. Does this make it work again?
>
> --
> Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)

So, here is what I have:
>  ~ $ sudo rfkill list
>  0: phy0: Wireless LAN
>       Soft blocked: no
>       Hard blocked: no

> ~ $ sudo rfkill block 0
Wifi immediately loses connection, wifi led turns off and dmesg reports:
> wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:23:69:2f:3f:01 by local choice (reason=3)

Now I have:
> ~ $ sudo rfkill list
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
>       Soft blocked: yes
>       Hard blocked: no

Unblocking:
> ~ $ sudo rfkill unblock 0
> ~ $ sudo rfkill list
> 0: phy0: Wireless LAN
>       Soft blocked: no
>       Hard blocked: no

But wifi is not functional, wifi led remains turned off, dmesg tells nothing.

If I turn hardware switch off and on, and then software off/on nothing changes.

Then I compiled 2.6.34_rc5 kernel and get same behavior. Also I have
got additional
entry in dmesg when turning wifi off with rfkill utility or with
hardware switch:
> cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

Thanks for quick response!

--
Grygoriy Fuchedzhy