[14e4:4315] Dell Studio 1735, rfkill problem

Gábor Stefanik netrolller.3d at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 18:21:27 EDT 2010

2010/4/24 Григорий Фучеджи <grygoriy.fuchedzhy at gmail.com>:
> Hi, I have 14e4:4315 on my Dell Studio 1735, I'm running gentoo with
> 2.6.33.2
> kernel and b43-firmware-4.150.10.5. Driver works great but I have problem
> with
> rfkill.
>
> I had enabled rfkill in my kernel
>> $ grep RFKILL /usr/src/linux/.config
>> CONFIG_RFKILL=y
>> CONFIG_RFKILL_LEDS=y
>> CONFIG_RFKILL_INPUT=y
>> # CONFIG_TOSHIBA_BT_RFKILL is not set
>
> My laptop has 2-positional hardware switch for wifi, when I toggle it off. I
> get
> following in dmesg:
>> b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to DISABLED
>> wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:23:69:2f:3f:01 by local choice (reason=3)
>> b43-phy0: Radio turned on by software
>> b43-phy0: The hardware RF-kill button still turns the radio physically
>> off. Press the button to turn it on.
>
> Also wifi led turns off.
>
> Then I turn it back on and get:
>> b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to ENABLED
>
> But wifi remains non-functional until I reboot. Wifi led is turned off until
> reboot also.
>
> If turn switch on/off several times I get:
>> b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to DISABLED
>> b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to ENABLED
>> b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to DISABLED
>> b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to ENABLED
>
> But wifi still is not working.
>
> --
> Grygoriy Fuchedzhy

Check compat-wireless; IIRC LP-PHY rfkill support has been updated in 2.6.34.

BTW, does software-rfkill (using the rfkill command-line utility) work
correctly?
Specifically, the following scenarios are interesting:
-With the hardware-rfkill switch ON (i.e. radio enabled), try to bring
down the card using the rfkill utility. Does the card actually stop
transmitting?
-Try to turn it back on. Is the interface usable again?
-Turn the hardware switch OFF, and back ON. Then, use rfkill to
soft-disable and re-enable the card. Does this make it work again?

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)