remote talking to AR9271

bruce m beach brucembeach at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:21:30 PST 2016

Hello Adrian

>> IIRC, the general idea behind those EPs was to do
>> different levels of traffic QoS, but nothing was ever
>> implemented.

>> Just remember, if you add an EP, you have to service it,
>> or the other EPs don't make progress. :)

Yes but right now I'm trying to do something much more
modest. It might help to see what I'm targeting. I see these
chips (in this case the AR9271) as extraordinarily usefull
building blocks. A few hours with a soldering iron and you
could make all sorts of useful and interesting devices other
than just shoving it in a computer and useing it get on a
net. But to do this I'll need a fairly deep understanding
for which I imagine will take about a year. Although after
all some people pay $30 to see a 2 hour movie, whereas here
for a mere 15 bucks theres a whole years worth of
enterainment.  If I find out things useful for everybody
else then so much the better.

Heres the particlar crack that I'm trying to drive a wedge
into. With the kernel driver and the firmware in place and
running I want to have a couple of new unused endpoints set
up (IN OUT ). Now from userland ( using libusb ) I want to
send a command, have the firmware respond by writing
something,anything to the host's IN buffer, go and get that
something,anything and then I'm done. All completely
independant of the kernel driver functioning with the
firmware. That is all.

If I can do this with any unused endpoint then I can do it
with endpoints 5 and 6, which would at least demonstrate
that they are working.

Bruce