some queries on open-ath9k f/w

Jithu Joseph jithu83 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 23:21:25 PST 2015

Hi,

I want to play around with Link Layer Acks . I took a quick  looks at
the open sourced f/w code in github and couldn't find the Medium
Access code (wherein i expected to find some link layer ack setting).

Before getting into more specific queries , can someone tell whether
it is possible to do such low level stuff (given that we have access
to a an open-source f/w - or is it done fully in hardware and we don't
have a way to disable link layer acks , or is it done at the host
driver level  )

Ideally I am trying to implelemet something like this paper for a class project
https://www.usenix.org/conference/atc14/technical-sessions/presentation/salameh

<snip>
In this paper, they propose TCP/HACK (Hierarchical ACKnowledgment), a
system that applies cross-layer optimization to TCP traffic on WiFi
networks by carrying TCP ACKs within WiFi's link-layer
acknowledgments. By eliminating all medium acquisitions for TCP ACKs
in unidirectional TCP flows, TCP/HACK significantly improves medium
utilization, and thus significantly increases achievable capacity for
TCP workloads.

</snip>

This is the code I looked into
https://github.com/qca/open-ath9k-htc-firmware/tree/master/target_firmware/wlan