Kernel panic hosting 5Ghz AP

Konstantin Bogomolov konstantin.bogomolov at dejero.com
Wed Nov 29 08:56:20 PST 2017

I've been trying to reproduce the issue on 4.14.1 for a few days now,
and it seems to have been stable so far (using ACS).

I should mention that I've been reproducing this using a torture test
where I first start a 2.4 Ghz AP, take it down, then start a 5 Ghz AP
(twice), then reboot and try again.

I am not sure whether starting the 2.4 Ghz AP before the other one
exacerbates the issue or not. Running the torture test on my 4.1
kernel (with 4.12 backports) worked for a while, until the kernel
crash happened, at which point starting the 5 Ghz AP led to a kernel
crash every time. On the stock Debian 4.9 kernel, it never worked and
crashed right away, until I tested it again after my 4.14.1 tests --
at which point it seemed to work.

So from what I've observed, the crash does not manifest itself right
away, but once it happens once, it continues happening without fail on
the subsequent tries. Having said that, 4.14.1 seems to be working
well considering its been ~5 days of running the torture test, whereas
4.1 (with 4.12 backports) crashed within 1-2 days.

Konstantin