Driver support for QCA6174 chip using SDIO interface

Erik Stromdahl erik.stromdahl at gmail.com
Fri May 12 07:51:25 PDT 2017

On 2017-05-12 02:20, Ann Lo wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> We are hoping to use your new SDIO patches for QCA9377 on kernel
> version 4.1.36. There appears to be version 7 patches according to the
> following email:
> http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2017-April/009633.html
>
> Would you advise on the followings?
>
> 1) What is the status of ath10k SDIO for QCA9377? The above email has
> the comment "With this patch we have the low level HTC protocol
> working and it's possible to boot the firmware, but it's still not
> possible to connect or anything like." Do you have an estimate of the
> time for full functionality, that wpa_supplicant and hostapd will run
> successfully? How much further work is needed?

Well, first of all, the patches on the ath10k master only contain the
HIF layer (which is not that useful by itself). You will need a bunch
of generic HL (High Latency) patches as well. These patches are common
for both USB and SDIO and has not yet been integrated into the ath
mainline.
These patches are available on my ath repo on github:

https://github.com/erstrom/linux-ath

They should be treated as very experimental though!
There are a few known issues with the QCA9377 SDIO chip.
I have as of today not been able to associate with an AP (which
kind of limits the usefulness of the device, at least when operating
in STA mode :).
QCA9377 USB (Linksys WUSB6100M) works much better, but is unfortunately
not fully stable either since I am only capable of transmit/receive
~3Mbytes before it goes deaf (but at least I can associate and authenticate
to an AP with WPA2 PSK security).

So what remains to be done then?
Well, it seems as if the sdio chipset won't work that well with the
generic parts of ath10k. The setup of a device is HIF layer independent
(mostly implemented in mac.c) and has been tested thoroughly with the
PCIe devices. When looking at qcacld (another driver that is not part
of the Linux kernel), the setup is very different (different internal
parameters are configured and commands are executed in a different order).

 From my point of view I think the following things needs to be done:

1. Make mac.c work with high latency devices (SDIO and USB). I suspect
    that the setup of SDIO and USB is similar.
2. Add support for newer version of the WMI protocol. qcacld uses a
    different ABI version for the WMI messages.

Since I am doing this work as a spare time activity only, I can't make
any commitments or estimates of when everything is fully implemented.

> 2) Our BSP uses kernel version 4.1.36. Can we apply your patches to
> this version? Or, do we need to backport a newer version for QCA9377?

I would be very surprised if the patches applies on a 4.1.36 kernel.
ath10k is a very active project and much has happened since 4.1.36.
Besides, you would need a few other patches as well that has already
been integrated.
Perhaps the best way forward is the ath10k backports project?