ath10k firmware sends probes on DFS channels without radar detection

Jean-Pierre Tosoni jp.tosoni at acksys.fr
Wed Dec 14 10:14:13 PST 2016

On 12/06/15 08:36 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 12/06/2016 09:02 AM, Jean-Pierre Tosoni wrote:
> > This follows on the previous discussion
> > 	"Client station sends probes on DFS channels"
> >
> > Problem:
> > The combination of QCA988X firmware v10.2.4.70-2 + ath10k +
> > wpa_supplicant do not comply with the norm ETSI/EN 301-893 section
> > 4.7; because they can send probes for 600s when no AP is around.
> >
> > Analysis:
> > The problem seems to lie in the firmware, which regards the presence
> > of *any* beacon as a proof that the channel is radar-clean for 600s.
> >
> > This is a wrong hypothesis, since a rogue AP sending fraudulent
> > beacons should not induce a scrupulous STA in sending illegal probes.
> >
> > Moreover, the norm (table D.1) sets a time limit of 10s to shutdown
> > when no AP positively allows the STA to transmit on the DFS channel.

> > - ath10k firmware is not publicly available for fixes.
> > - there is no obvious fix working in ath10k.
> > - the issue does not show up with other mac80211 devices like ath9k.
> > - wpa_supplicant considers this is a kernel issue [2]
>
> Have you confirmed that there are no probe requests being sent by ath10k
> driver?

I have put a printk in the ath10k_tx function (in the path for management
frames) and it does not show up.
On another hand I cannot find any other function preparing / sending probes.
There is only the wmi command that starts scans.

> You could also try disabling the station keep-alive and roaming logic in
> the firmware by tweaking the wmi initial setup logic.  I disable that in
> my firmware, for instance, because mac80211 can do a better job and then I
> can save resources in the firmware.

Do you mean the values set in wmi.c:: ath10k_wmi_start_scan_init() ?

Should I replace all the scan offload by a mac80211-controlled scan like
in ath9k? The problem then is to switch channels; channel switching
seems very different from ath9k.

Thanks,
JP