ath10k firmware sends probes on DFS channels without radar detection

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Dec 14 10:28:44 PST 2016

On 12/14/2016 10:14 AM, Jean-Pierre Tosoni wrote:
> On 12/06/15 08:36 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
>> On 12/06/2016 09:02 AM, Jean-Pierre Tosoni wrote:
>>> This follows on the previous discussion
>>> 	"Client station sends probes on DFS channels"
>>>
>>> Problem:
>>> The combination of QCA988X firmware v10.2.4.70-2 + ath10k +
>>> wpa_supplicant do not comply with the norm ETSI/EN 301-893 section
>>> 4.7; because they can send probes for 600s when no AP is around.
>>>
>>> Analysis:
>>> The problem seems to lie in the firmware, which regards the presence
>>> of *any* beacon as a proof that the channel is radar-clean for 600s.
>>>
>>> This is a wrong hypothesis, since a rogue AP sending fraudulent
>>> beacons should not induce a scrupulous STA in sending illegal probes.
>>>
>>> Moreover, the norm (table D.1) sets a time limit of 10s to shutdown
>>> when no AP positively allows the STA to transmit on the DFS channel.

>>> - ath10k firmware is not publicly available for fixes.
>>> - there is no obvious fix working in ath10k.
>>> - the issue does not show up with other mac80211 devices like ath9k.
>>> - wpa_supplicant considers this is a kernel issue [2]
>>
>> Have you confirmed that there are no probe requests being sent by ath10k
>> driver?
>
> I have put a printk in the ath10k_tx function (in the path for management
> frames) and it does not show up.
> On another hand I cannot find any other function preparing / sending probes.
> There is only the wmi command that starts scans.

That wmi command causes probes, so make sure it is not being called.

>> You could also try disabling the station keep-alive and roaming logic in
>> the firmware by tweaking the wmi initial setup logic.  I disable that in
>> my firmware, for instance, because mac80211 can do a better job and then I
>> can save resources in the firmware.
>
> Do you mean the values set in wmi.c:: ath10k_wmi_start_scan_init() ?
>
> Should I replace all the scan offload by a mac80211-controlled scan like
> in ath9k? The problem then is to switch channels; channel switching
> seems very different from ath9k.

You might try one or more of these settings in the ath10k_wmi_10_1_op_gen_init
method (or 10.2 if that is the FW you are using):

	config.roam_offload_max_vdev = 0; /* disable roaming */
	config.roam_offload_max_ap_profiles = 0; /* disable roaming */
	config.bmiss_offload_max_vdev = 0;

I have only tested this using my CT firmware, and I have some additional
patches in my driver to enable mac80211 keep-alive logic when using my
CT firmware.