Can we ignore frames with invalid BSSID in IBSS mode?

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Sep 30 11:30:30 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 10:20 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

> Yes, it is a transmitter side problem, and A-MSDU on IBSS
> is disabled by default in all ath10k firmware versions that I am aware of.

Right.

> I was hoping there might be a way to allow A-MSDU + IBSS + ath10k
> to work in future kernels without applying out-of-tree
> kernel hacks.  This would let people with appropriate firmware
> enable IBSS + A-MSDU for added performance in cases where they
> knew the peer could support the needed work-around.
>
> I don't think it is worth a lot of effort, but if it were relatively
> simple to fix, then maybe it is worth it.

Had it been a receiver-side issue, then it'd seem reasonable to work
around it. But it being a transmitter-side issue it doesn't really seem
so - *every* possible peer would have to be adjusted, and some might
not even be able to get adjusted (e.g. devices that have A-MSDU
deaggregation in hardware/firmware) ...

So to do that properly you'd have to advertise some sort of quirk
vendor IE, and all that, which seems excessive given the limited use.

johannes