Can we ignore frames with invalid BSSID in IBSS mode?

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Sep 30 10:20:51 PDT 2015

On 09/30/2015 10:14 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-09-30 at 08:44 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>>
>> Any idea how this could be done in the stack instead of the driver?
>
> I don't see why it should be?
>
>> The problem is that this is a receiver-side issue, so even if I manage
>> to hack the ath10k firmware or driver rx logic, it would not fix any other
>> IBSS peer connected to ath10k peer.
>>

> You mean it's a transmitter-side issue? In that case you should
> probably simply disable aggregation on the broken transmitter ...

Yes, it is a transmitter side problem, and A-MSDU on IBSS
is disabled by default in all ath10k firmware versions that I am aware of.

I was hoping there might be a way to allow A-MSDU + IBSS + ath10k
to work in future kernels without applying out-of-tree
kernel hacks.  This would let people with appropriate firmware
enable IBSS + A-MSDU for added performance in cases where they
knew the peer could support the needed work-around.

I don't think it is worth a lot of effort, but if it were relatively
simple to fix, then maybe it is worth it.