QCA6164 in Fedora

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Mon Sep 21 00:16:44 PDT 2015

On 10 September 2015 at 02:48, Susi Lehtola
<jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 06:02 PM, Susi Lehtola wrote:
>>
>> Hello people,
>>

>> I recently bought a Lenovo U31 laptop for work, and was surprised
>> wireless didn't work out of the box.
>>
>> Fortunately thanks to you the card (supposedly) works in linux, but I
>> have yet to get mine to work.
>>
>> I've patched the Fedora 4.1.6 kernel
>>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1069561&action=diff
>> to add support for the card, which I adapted from
>>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1436940
>>
>> However, I'm having trouble loading the firmware. I took the firmware
>> files from
>>

>> https://github.com/atondwal/ath10k-firmware/commit/88fca85ef59d708b9874e5b7885416b58aef9ee7
>>
>> and installed them into /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA6174/hw2.1/
>

> I can confirm the card works with the linux-next tree, using a snapshot I
> took today.
>
> However, it would be nice to get this working in the 4.1.6 kernel which
> supposedly supports the 6174 chip.
>
> The problem in the Fedora kernel is that the direct firmware load fails,
> althoug the same firmware works with the linux-next tree.
>
> What would need to be backported to the 4.1 tree in order to get the card
> working?

You need to cherry-pick at least this patch:
https://github.com/kvalo/ath/commit/36582e5d4daeccf68a8a3cef9bc37b60fb7d45b9

The problem is qca6164 requires a different board.bin and will not
work with one from qca6174. The driver uses the same firmware filepath
for both. There's a per-pci-vid/pid board lookup but it's broken I
would discourage using it until we come up with a better solution.