IBSS support in ath10k - our test results and questions

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Fri Mar 20 08:32:39 PDT 2015

On 03/20/2015 07:26 AM, Simon Wunderlich wrote:
> On Thursday 19 March 2015 14:40:42 Ben Greear wrote:
>> On 03/19/2015 10:06 AM, Simon Wunderlich wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>  * We see low throughput when communicating via IBSS between 2x ath10k or
>>>  1x
>>>
>>> ath9k + 1x ath10k (~30 MiBit/s). With HT we would have expected ~150
>>> MBit/s, with VHT even more.
>>
>> Do you see this problem with only an IBSS interface?  In other words, is my
>> firmware worse at this than stock 999.x firmware in same configuration?
>
> Yes, we used your firmware with only one IBSS interface. And yes, in our tests
> your firmware performed worse - with stock 999.x firmware we saw 70-90 Mbit/s,
> which was also not great, but way better. Also in that case we saw that
> aggregation was enabled.
>
> The AP+IBSS concurrently was another test.
>
> As also mentioned originally, 999.x firmware is not an option for us since we
> will eventually need AP and IBSS at the same time.
>

>> Thanks for all the details...  Sounds like you have done more testing on
>> this than I have for sure.
>
> We want to integrate IBSS mode into products, so we have to test thoroughly.
> :)
>
> If you also want to focus on IBSS, we would be happy to collaborate and test.

I am doing some work-for-hire in this area, so it's important for me to
make my firmware work as well as possible with IBSS.  For those not purchasing
support, helping to test my firmware changes and providing driver/kernel/whatever
open-source patches and help will be payment enough for me.

I'll go look to see if I can find any block-ack related code I might have missed
when porting the IBSS support forward from the 999.x firmware.