Survey dump and spectral scan

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Mon Jun 15 22:47:25 PDT 2015

On 15 June 2015 at 17:46, Amato Carbonara <acarbonara13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with either of these commands with ath10k:
> 1. iw wlan0 survey dump
> 2. spectral scan:
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath10k/spectral
>
> I am running ath10k firmware version 10.2.4.48 on a QCA-9880 chipset.
> Kernel version 4.0
>
> Specific questions:
> 1. Survey dump:
>     a) Do I have to be associated/connected to an AP on a specific
> channel in order to receive the correct information?

You don't need to be associated. Current implementation resets and
refreshes survey dump stats on each scan.

>     b) I understand the active time is the amount of time the channel
> is busy.  What is the receive time?

The 'active time' is the amount of time spent on given channel.
The 'receive time' is the amount of time spent on receiving valid
802.11 traffic.

FYI: Recent ath10k doesn't report 'receive time' anymore. Instead it
reports 'busy time'
(https://github.com/kvalo/ath/commit/2c2d2fafe21652789437e5a1a8b2770a45adc259)

> 2. Spectral scan = In the link provided, the following is stated:
> "you can use the following commands while having an open connection
> (e.g. running an AP)"
> Does this mean the adapter needs to be in AP mode?

I haven't really used spectral scan on ath10k much but I think it
should work without an AP vif as well. It might report only 20MHz
samples though. With AP vif you should be able to gather 40 or 80MHz
samples by adjusting the chandef operation width.