Survey dump and spectral scan

Amato Carbonara acarbonara13 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 08:46:56 PDT 2015

Does anyone have any experience with either of these commands with ath10k:
1. iw wlan0 survey dump
2. spectral scan:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath10k/spectral

I am running ath10k firmware version 10.2.4.48 on a QCA-9880 chipset.
Kernel version 4.0

Specific questions:
1. Survey dump:
    a) Do I have to be associated/connected to an AP on a specific
channel in order to receive the correct information?
    b) I understand the active time is the amount of time the channel
is busy.  What is the receive time?

2. Spectral scan = In the link provided, the following is stated:
"you can use the following commands while having an open connection
(e.g. running an AP)"
Does this mean the adapter needs to be in AP mode?