AP mode firmware crash on QCA9880-BR4A

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 29 02:18:26 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior at tieto.com> wrote:
> I can't get smart antenna out of my head at this point - it wasn't
> supported in 10.1 firmware (which works with your device). However
> 10.2 seems to report that your hardware itself isn't capable of it so
> it shouldn't be a problem (in theory).
>
> I guess you could try playing with the WMI_BCN_TX_REF_DEF_ANTENNA in
> the driver and try things like: 0x1, 0x7, 0xf, 0xff, 0xff00, 0xffff,
> 0xff0000, 0xffffff.
I have tested the following values (while there were NO changes in
ath10k_wmi_event_host_swba = my patch was reverted) and it's still
crashing with all of them:
0x1, 0x3, 0x7, 0xf, 0xff, 0xff00, 0xffff, 0xff0000 and 0xffffff

> I doubt it'll help though. I guess other management frames would crash
> firmware as well but I don't think they do. Can you verify that by
> running scan from any station around to see if the ath10k AP responds
> with a Probe Response and is hence visible in station's scan results,
> please?
I did that with my second patch applied (that skips sending beacons)
and WMI_BCN_TX_REF_DEF_ANTENNA = 0. In this case the AP is *not*
visible to other devices (I checked with two android phones, since
those are the only other 5G ready devices I have at the moment).

Regards,
Martin