AP mode firmware crash on QCA9880-BR4A

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Mon Jul 13 22:39:27 PDT 2015

On 13 July 2015 at 21:32, Martin Blumenstingl
<martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> thanks for the quick reply :-)
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 7:57 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior at tieto.com> wrote:
>> It is always good to see either debugs or traces to know what happened
>> before a crash. Your build doesn't seem to contain either at the
>> moment though.
> This is what I enabled for the two new logs you can see below:
> # cat /sys/module/ath10k_core/parameters/debug_mask
> 1074
>
>> I see you're using a pretty recent openwrt snapshot.
> Correct, it is a trunk build from yesterday afternoon.
>
>> If I assume the caldata extracted from flash partition isn't
>> complete then it could lead to firmware crash.
> I can see that at least the country code ("GB") and mac address are
> read correctly from dumped caldata.
> That doesn't mean that it HAS to be correct, but it can't be total
> garbage either.
>
>>  cd /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0/
>>  mv caldata.bin board.bin
>>  rmmod ath10k_pci
>>  echo 1 > /sys/module/ath10k_core/parameters/skip_otp
>>  modprobe ath10k_pci
>>  wifi
> The first log [0] you can see below has skip_otp at the default value
> and it uses the caldata as supplied through the standard firmware
> mechanism.
> The second log [1] you can see below is with skip_otp set to 1 and
> caldata moved to board.bin (mac address and country code were still
> correct in that case).
> Each log was produced with: wifi up && sleep 5s && wifi down && dmesg
> (both have the mac address masked - everything else is untouched)
>
> Please let me know if I need to change the debug mask or if you need
> more information.

Thanks for the logs! I would've loved to get full traces or debugs
with dumps though (I can't see anything related to SWBA in the logs).

Anyway - it seems that device crashes after ~5 beacon intervals. Can
you confirm (with another device/sniffer) whether the ath10k AP sends
any beacons on the air before crashing, please?

Did the card ever work with any previous OpenWRT version?