Trying to upgrade to latest ath10k driver version

Matthew Robbetts wingfeathera at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:11:13 PDT 2015

Hi Amato,

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 10:51, Amato Carbonara <acarbonara13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am trying to upgrade my ath10k driver version to the latest version:
> 10.2.4.70.2
> I am downloading the binary file from the following github location:
> https://github.com/kvalo/ath10k-firmware/tree/master/10.2.4/untested

To be clear, the file you’re describing isn’t the driver but the binary firmware blob. The driver (ath10k) is open-source and part of the kernel, and will need to be rebuilt in order to be upgraded.

> However, after placing the binary file in the directory
> /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA988X/hw2.0  the driver version remains at the
> old version (10.2.4.48).

I do not believe that merely placing the file in this directory is sufficient. You will need to build a new kernel (or at least, rebuild the driver if it is a module) with that new firmware file referenced in the configuration.

> When I download the file from github, I
> changed the name of the driver file from firmware-5.bin_10.2.4.70.2 to
> firmware-5.bin

This renaming is correct. However, there is another issue, in that the firmware version you mention is not supported yet by the ath10k driver that ships in any released kernel. I believe it will be used in the 4.2 kernel, but they haven’t cut the first RC yet.

If you don’t to wait for a 4.2 kernel, you can build kvalo’s development kernel branch, which should have the necessary changes in it, from:
https://github.com/kvalo/ath

(People who actually now what they’re doing, please correct me if I’m wrong!)

Thanks,
Matt