AP mode firmware crash on QCA9880-BR4A

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 8 14:06:57 PDT 2015

Hi Michal,

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:19 AM, Michal Kazior <michal.kazior at tieto.com> wrote:
> It could be that your devices are not transmitting Probe Requests and
> scan passively 5GHz channels due to their regulatory restrictions. Can
> you try getting traces to confirm this, please?
I have just tried it again and today I *can* see the AP on one of my
Android devices (I haven't tried the second one, but that should also
see it).

During my testing I found out that ath10k_wmi_beacon_send_ref_nowait()
is the command that makes it crash.
I re-enabled everything in ath10k_wmi_event_host_swba() and it started
crashing again.
A few tests later I found that removing the following line "fixes" the
crashes (but it will obviously break other things!):
    arvif->beacon_state = ATH10K_BEACON_SCHEDULED;

Thus I came to the conclusion that I should try disabling
"pdev_send_bcn_cmdid" to the device.

I made two traces (with firmware 10.2.4.70-2), you can find them both
in this tarball: [0]
trace.192.168.1.3:41579.dat was recorded without any ath10k patches
trace.192.168.1.3:43752.dat was recorded with
ath10k_wmi_beacon_send_ref_nowait that has ath10k_wmi_cmd_send_nowait
removed (see [1])

Regards,
Martin

[0] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26940713/tmp/ath10k-trace-with-and-without-pdev_send_bcn_cmdid.tar.xz