Unicast packets stop being transmitted to a particular station, under load, when WPA2 is enabled

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon May 12 07:53:14 PDT 2014

Hi,

So the keys aren't bidirectional. There'll be a set of transmit and
receive keys per station, as well as the multicast key.

If you're seeing traffic in other TIDs for a given station, then it's
likely a block-ack tracking issue.

If you only see multicast traffic to the station, but no unicast
traffic, then it could be all the HWQ's are stuck; but it also could
be a key exchange issue. Normally on FreeBSD I'd just do a monitor
mode trace and look at whether I was receiving anything; before I then
dug down to see if the encryption sequence was fine (ie, no CCMP
replays, the key is correct, etc.)

As for ath10k, it's been a while since I was deep in the firmware.
Ideally you'd like to get TX completion notifications from the chip up
to the firmware as that'll at least tell you the frame is making it
out to the air and being ACKed (and is thus not going to be a hung
hardware queue or TID.) I don't know if TX completion notifications
are completely working though; I'll check once I have firmware source
again.

-a