ath10k driver crashes whenever firmware crashes on ARM SoC

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:28:17 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've seen a hard lockup of the machine
> on non CUS223 machines, but I have seen cases where non CUS223 NIC wedges
> and the existing restart does not recover it.
>
> This requires a reboot to recover from.

That's not so surprising; the current driver doesn't do the cold reset
that is the only thing you can recover from a wedge, I guess because
of the CUS223 bug.

Stupid question: can I honestly just buy a different module and make
my PCIe crashiness problems go away?  Is there a reason do prefer the
CUS223?

Another question: is there perhaps anything the firmware can do to eg.
set a watchdog timer, so that the internal CPU will restart (go back
to "waiting for firmware" mode) if it doesn't answer for a while?  The
idea would be for the device to un-wedge itself even if there's
nothing we can do to fix it from outside.

Thanks,

Avery