General firmware stability issue.

Michal Kazior michal.kazior at tieto.com
Sun Jun 22 23:49:35 PDT 2014

On 19 June 2014 20:58, Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
> When using our firmware and kernel mods, we often see our AP system
> crash the firmware after several days of various testing.
>
> Often after this, it takes a full reboot to bring the system back.

Can you elaborate on this? Why does it need a full reboot?

> For those with ability to debug firmware source,
> at least some of the time, it is a heap list corruption/assert
> that crashes us, but I have not nailed down exactly where/why yet.

Some of the time.. but what happens other time? Any crash dump?

> Based on some email I received, I believe this problem may
> happen on standard firmware as well.
>
> I am curious to know if anyone else sees this type of problem,
> and with what regularity.

I'm aware of one problem with beaconing now. Since there's no "beacon
tx completed" indication ath10k is forced to blindly unmap/free beacon
sk_buff when next swba event is handled. In some rare cases when
target wmi pipes get stuck/lag it's possible to get an IOMMU fault
(provided your platform supports it and it's enabled) that crashes the
target so badly it's impossible to even use the CE diag window to read
out the crash dump. Warm reset is ineffective after that and only cold
reset is able to bring it up again (but also hangs the host sometimes
due to hw bug).