Alpine Linux Persistence and Storage Summit 2021

Dennis Maisenbacher dennis.maisenbacher at wdc.com
Mon Sep 20 00:39:33 PDT 2021

Hello Together,

I would like to join the Alpine Linux Persistence and Storage Summit 2021 in Tyrol.

I am relatively new to the storage world and have special interest to learn about zoned storage and file systems.
Throughout my master thesis "Time-efficient Garbage Collection on Host Managed Solid State Drives", which I wrote at the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, I had my first contact with ZNS drives and the storage topic in general.
The storage and systems topic catched me and since I recently started working in that field, I am thirsting for talks and people to connect with.

As a short talk I would like to present the device mapper dm-zap:

Abstract:
dm-zap is a Linux device mapper that can be used to enable random read and write operation on ZNS drives. Much like the dm-zoned device mapper, dm-zap is responsible for managing the address translation, data placement and garbage collection of the ZNS drive on the host system. In addition, dm-zap respects the zone capacity (vs zone size) and makes use of the zone append command. Thus, this lightweight device mapper offers parts of traditional FTLs, which can be object for further FTL research, like the different garbage collection victim selection methods dm-zap comes with.

Best regards
Dennis Maisenbacher