Attending Alpine Linux Persistence and Storage Summit 2021

Christian Brauner christian.brauner at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 6 02:04:25 PDT 2021

Hey,

I'd like to attend the Alpine Linux Persistence and Storage Summit 2021.

I'm particularly interested in the file systems and the storage parts of
the conference.

I'm also happy to give a short talk about work we did in the vfs and in
various filesystem to introduce and support the notion of "idmapped
mounts":

#### Idmapped Mounts
File ownership is a global property on most systems that have a uid and
gid concept. On POSIXy systems the chown*() syscall family allows to
change the owner of a file or directory. If the ownership of a file is
changed it will be changed globally affecting each user on the systems
equally. But various use-cases exist where this can be problematic:
- Portable home directories that are used on different computers where
  the user is assigned a different uid and gid.
- Filesystems that allow to merge or unionize multiple filesystems are
  often shared between different users.
- Containers making use of user namespaces also affect file ownership.
- Avoiding the cost of recursive ownership changes.
Idmapped mounts solve these problems and others by allowing mounts to
change file. This talk we will take a look at how idmapped mounts work,
outline the work we've done and what is still left to do and potential
new ideas to make this an even more powerful concept.

Thanks!
Christian