[wireless-regdb] Question about 5.8 GHz in E.U.

Ryan Mounce ryan at mounce.com.au
Thu Sep 7 05:38:13 PDT 2017

Hi Mathieu,

The permitted power within 5725-5875 MHz is only 25mW / 14dBm EIRP, as
far as I am aware this was also the case prior to 2014. This rule does
exist in the regdb for Bulgaria / BG, which is technically correct
however in my opinion should be removed for consistency.

I think the problem with 14dBm being such a low power level is that
its useful range is very limited. There is also the fear that client
devices designed for use outside the EU and not complying with 802.11d
will transmit far beyond the permissible power level in this range
upon associating with even a compliant AP.

Whether for these reasons or others, the convention appears to be to
simply disable this frequency range altogether for EU countries.

Regards,
Ryan Mounce