[Pcsclite-muscle] Compatibility of pcscd and libpcsclite

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Sat Oct 5 06:16:28 PDT 2024

On Fri, 4 Oct 2024, Andreas Schwier wrote:

> That pretty much sounds like it. So I better mount the libpcsclite from the
> host into the container.
>
> Distros are sometimes doing strange things. I'm currently scratching my head,
> as AlmaLinux does not seem to include pcsc-lite-devel, which makes compiling
> smart card applications a big issue. I already include the devel and test
> repos, but the package does not show up.

It does, just enable the "crb" repository:

$ dnf --enablerepo crb list \*pcsc\*
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:16 ago on Sat Oct  5 14:56:25 2024.
Available Packages
pcsc-cyberjack.x86_64                                                                  3.99.5final.SP15-1.el9                                                          epel
pcsc-cyberjack-cjflash.x86_64                                                          3.99.5final.SP15-1.el9                                                          epel
pcsc-cyberjack-examples.noarch                                                         3.99.5final.SP15-1.el9                                                          epel
pcsc-lite.x86_64                                                                       1.9.4-1.el9                                                                     baseos
pcsc-lite-ccid.x86_64                                                                  1.5.2-1.el9                                                                     baseos
pcsc-lite-devel.i686                                                                   1.9.4-1.el9                                                                     crb
pcsc-lite-devel.x86_64                                                                 1.9.4-1.el9                                                                     crb
pcsc-lite-libs.i686                                                                    1.9.4-1.el9                                                                     baseos
pcsc-lite-libs.x86_64                                                                  1.9.4-1.el9                                                                     baseos
pcsc-perl.x86_64                                                                       1.4.14-24.el9                                                                   epel
pcsc-tools.x86_64                                                                      1.6.2-2.el9                                                                     epel
pcsc-tools-gscriptor.x86_64                                                            1.6.2-2.el9                                                                     epel

In general, I find smartcard integeration work done in the Enterprise Linux derivatives
very good (except maybe some glitches https://github.com/alonbl/gnupg-pkcs11-scd/issues/63

The way they try to bring all PKCS#11 drivers under one hut with /usr/lib64/p11-kit-proxy.so
is pretty neat solution in my opinion.

I agree that their approach might be opinionate, but if one sticks to stuff they package
things mostly work. I wonder if the MAX_READERS_CONTEXTS problem can be fixed
without breaking the ABI.

Marcin