[Pcsclite-muscle] (possible) evolutions of pcsc-lite and libccid

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Fri May 10 05:56:44 PDT 2024

Hello Jakub,

Le ven. 10 mai 2024 à 11:42, Jakub Jelen <jjelen at redhat.com> a écrit :

> For the record, we are still using the serial support for working with
> reader emulators and virtual smart card readers in OpenSC tests such
> as:
>
> https://github.com/OpenSC/OpenSC/blob/master/.github/test-oseid.sh#L27
>
> https://github.com/frankmorgner/vsmartcard/tree/master/virtualsmartcard
>
> This means we will likely keep building the pcsc-lite with the support
> for serial readers for some time. OTOH, I think these emulators do not
> require root access as they do not access physical serial devices so
> it should not affect this use cases in the end.

Very good point.
I have not yet used virtualsmartcard.

I switched the serial support option default value from false to true in
https://github.com/LudovicRousseau/PCSC/commit/dfd2e47708fc391486b6f8abb163a5cc5abd690b

My idea was to limit the resources accessed by pcscd (because it runs as root).
For example it could be limited to:
- /var/run/pcscd/
- USB devices

It looks like virtualsmartcard is using ports 35963 and 35964 on the localhost.
So pcscd has to be able to listen to those ports.

Each other serial or fake-serial driver will have its own needs.
The driver should provide a configuration file describing what
resources it needs to access.
I don't know how to handle that easily.

I will have to read some systemd documentation

Any other comment, suggestion or idea?

Thanks

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau