[Pcsclite-muscle] Support for file-descriptor based devices in pcsclite

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at metacode.biz
Thu May 26 02:26:06 PDT 2022

Hi,

On 26.05.2022 11:13, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Sorry for the delay. Your email was in my spam folder (gmail).

No worries, great to hear back from you!

>> I did compile several small examples using libusb and
>> libusb_wrap_sys_device and they worked fine with my tokens (Yubikeys).
>> Now my question is whether support for
>> LIBUSB_OPTION_WEAK_AUTHORITY/libusb_wrap_sys_device is something that
>> could be considered for inclusion in pcsclite or is this out of scope?
>
> Yes, I could consider something like that.
>
> In fact I already have 2 issues opened for pcsc-lite and CCID with this idea.
> "Open the device in pcscd and give the file descriptor to the driver"
> https://salsa.debian.org/rousseau/PCSC/-/issues/20
>
> "Use libusb_wrap_sys_device() and avoid rescanning the USB bus"
> https://salsa.debian.org/rousseau/CCID/-/issues/11

Oh, I must've missed that issue tracker. I'll read them thoroughly.

> This scheme could also be used on a "normal" computer and not only for Android.

That'd be great for development too.

> I am waiting for your first patches.
> Good idea.

Thanks for the ack! It may take some time as I'm not familiar with the
codebase but I hope I can ping this mailing list in case I have
questions/problems.

> What smart card reader do you plan to use with your Android phone?

To be honest I started with my Yubikey 5C (as you know it's a smartcard
reader+smartcard all in one package) as it fits nicely into phone's
USB-C slot but I also have some other tokens and a physical Omnikey 3121
reader. It all worked well on my Linux PC so I don't expect any
surprises here. By the way thanks for a fantastic and robust piece of
software!

For others scanning the mailing list and for cross-linking I've created
the issue:
https://github.com/LudovicRousseau/PCSC/issues/130

Thanks for your time!

Kind regards,