[Pcsclite-muscle] [Newsletter] Re: Race condition during readerstate update

Marc Kewitz Marc.Kewitz.ext at rohde-schwarz.com
Tue Sep 8 08:24:35 EDT 2020

Hi Ludovic,

I finally had the chance to test your changes.

It works fine. I needed to add the flag CCID_ICC_ABSENT ( 0x02)  in the status field of the answer in case the card was actually removed.

> Remarks:
> - on Windows I get SCARD_E_COMM_DATA_LOST for SCardTransmit() or a non-
> PCSC error 0x57 "The parameter is incorrect"
> - SCardStatus() returns SCARD_W_REMOVED_CARD immediately (as expected)
>
> On macOS (Catalina) I have the same behavior as on GNU/Linux before my
> changes. SCardTransmit() returns SCARD_E_NOT_TRANSACTED and
> SCardStatus() may return SCARD_S_SUCCESS immediately and
> SCARD_W_REMOVED_CARD after "some time".
>

> Questions:
> - maybe SCARD_W_REMOVED_CARD is even better than
> SCARD_E_NO_SMARTCARD for SCardTransmit()

I think SCARD_E_NO_SMARTCARD is good. It is an error in the transaction due to a missing smartcard ( ICC_ABSENT ). ( Do those E and W actually stand for error and warning ? )

> - SCardStatus() will return SCARD_S_SUCCESS (but with a correct
> pdwState) until the card removal is really detected. Do you think that is
> important to fix?

 It works for us without it. The correct state can be deduced from the pdwState.

Do you plan on releasing a new version in the near future?

Kind regards,
Marc