[Pcsclite-muscle] Lenovo laptops, GNU/Linux and smart card readers?

Michael StJohns mstjohns at comcast.net
Sat Sep 5 18:03:53 EDT 2020

On 9/5/2020 1:15 PM, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Le mer. 2 sept. 2020 à 02:36, Michael StJohns <mstjohns at comcast.net> a écrit :
>> Hi -
> Hello Michael,
> Thanks for your comments.
>
>> I've been a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad user for years.  Mostly the T series as
>> that has had a) the most reliability, and b) most configurability.
>> Also, I've been able to maintain the machines thanks to their pretty
>> detailed maintenance manuals.
>>
>> My current machine is a T560.  I was headed for the T590, but wanted a
>> better graphics card and instead have a P1 Gen 2 waiting in the wings
>> for me to be ready to move my work over.  Also, the P1 does not have the
>> off-center keyboard of the T series: the T series includes a number pad,
>> the P1 does not.  The T series uses a 65W charger, while the P1 uses a
>> 135watt charger.  Normal, not graphic heavy (e.g. not games) battery
>> lifetime is exceptional.
> There are so many configurations. It is hard to select what
> corresponds to my needs.

Pick the most ridiculous sized machine you can get and then start
working back from there until you find what you can afford!

>> Either of these is fairly light, and has a built-in battery.  I'd
>> recommend buying a machine with the biggest processor you can afford,
>> and the least amount of storage.  For memory, I'd select the soldered
>> 16Gb option, and then install an extra 16GB stick.  I'd buy the upgrade
>> to the memory and storage separately and use the aforementioned
>> maintenance manual as a guide for installing the upgrades.  Mainly
>> because the markup on the memory and storage is so high relative to
>> retail costs.
> I found a funny configuration with the ThinkPad P73.
> By default you get "256GB SSD PCIe". But if you select the "512GB SSD
> PCIe" it is $220 less. Yes, it is cheaper with 512 GB than with 256GB.
> Very strange. Maybe it is a mistake? Or I am missing something?

That is strange.  What's stranger is that selecting "None" costs $90
more than selecting the 512GB SSD.  I'm wondering if the 256gb drive is
actually an M.2 SSD.  Usually, I can find a line card that describes the
actual components they're using, but I wasn't able to find one for the
P73 with just a brief search.  You can always call Lenovo and ask what's
going on - they are pretty helpful when you're doing the ordering.

The P73 laptop is pretty big - support for up to 3 hard drives.
Definitely has support for a smart card reader.  Also for a NFC reader.

>> I think you're stuck with the Windows tax, but they may have a Debian
>> option.  A french keyboard is doable.   I'd suggest adding the
>> fingerprint reader in addition to the card reader.
> The ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 has a version "ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8
> with Linux".
> The price is $36.63 less. That is 3.4% of the total price.
> I could not find a Linux version for the other models I looked at.

There are "here's how to load linux" guides for most of these, but they
generally ship with Windows.

Later, Mike