[Pcsclite-muscle] Lenovo laptops, GNU/Linux and smart card readers?

Michael StJohns mstjohns at comcast.net
Tue Sep 1 20:34:59 EDT 2020

Hi -

I've been a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad user for years.  Mostly the T series as
that has had a) the most reliability, and b) most configurability.
Also, I've been able to maintain the machines thanks to their pretty
detailed maintenance manuals.

My current machine is a T560.  I was headed for the T590, but wanted a
better graphics card and instead have a P1 Gen 2 waiting in the wings
for me to be ready to move my work over.  Also, the P1 does not have the
off-center keyboard of the T series: the T series includes a number pad,
the P1 does not.  The T series uses a 65W charger, while the P1 uses a
135watt charger.  Normal, not graphic heavy (e.g. not games) battery
lifetime is exceptional.

Either of these is fairly light, and has a built-in battery.  I'd
recommend buying a machine with the biggest processor you can afford,
and the least amount of storage.  For memory, I'd select the soldered
16Gb option, and then install an extra 16GB stick.  I'd buy the upgrade
to the memory and storage separately and use the aforementioned
maintenance manual as a guide for installing the upgrades.  Mainly
because the markup on the memory and storage is so high relative to
retail costs.

I think you're stuck with the Windows tax, but they may have a Debian
option.  A french keyboard is doable.   I'd suggest adding the
fingerprint reader in addition to the card reader.

Lastly, pick up the three year depot repair option.  The cost is pretty
low, and allows you to ship your machine in for repairs if you don't
want to do them yourself.

I hope that helps - Mike

ps - checking the X1 maintenance manual
(https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_carbon3_hmm_en_sp40g55065.pdf)
seems to confirm the X1 does not support an integrated smart card reader.