[Pcsclite-muscle] How to Identify USB devices on linux/ubuntu/debian

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau
Mon Jan 30 05:19:53 PST 2017

> Hello,

Hi,

> so the API does not provide for the USB device information. That's too
bad. :(

A smart card reader is not always a USB device.
When PC/SC was designed smart card readers were serial devices connected to
a serial port.

> I wonder where that information about the device to card reader mapping
gets lost, as it obviously is needed somewhere in the stack?!?!

The information is present in pcsc-lite and in the CCID driver.
For example pcscd calls libccid with a parameter like
"usb:08e6/3437:libudev:0:/dev/bus/usb/001/002"
http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/api/group__IFDHandler.html#gabb9fe35a68fa080ce9397f0b830b1e7e

My question was and still is: why do you need this information at the
application level?

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau