[Pcsclite-muscle] Problem using a "GnuPG card V2" smartcard with a "Gemalto USB Shell Token V2" reader

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau
Tue Dec 9 09:11:38 PST 2014

> Hi list,

Hello,

> I recently bought a Gemalto USB Shell Token V2 reader and a GnuPG card
> V2 smartcard to user with GnuPG through pcscd.
> It works fine on my laptop computer but fails on my desktop computer.
> I first thought it was a configuration issue, so I tried with the same
> live distribution (Debian Wheezy LXDE live) on both computers, and it
> still works on the laptop computer and fails on the desktop computer.
>
> As far as I can tell, pcsc_scan correctly detects the reader and the
> smart card on both computers.
>
> For what it?s worth, both my computers are running an up-to-date Debian
> Wheezy, with pcsc-lite 1.8.4-1+deb7u1 and libccid 1.4.7-1.
> Running "/usr/sbin/pcscd --version" on the desktop gives:
>   pcsc-lite version 1.8.4.
>   Copyright (C) 1999-2002 by David Corcoran <corcoran at linuxnet.com>.
>   Copyright (C) 2001-2011 by Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rousseau at free.fr>.
>   Copyright (C) 2003-2004 by Damien Sauveron <sauveron at labri.fr>.
>   Report bugs to <muscle at lists.musclecard.com>.
>   Enabled features: Linux x86_64-pc-linux-gnu serial usb libudev usbdropdir=/usr/lib/pcsc/drivers ipcdir=/var/run/pcscd configdir=/etc/reader.conf.d
>
> A log of pcscd (as suggested on
> http://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/pcsclite.html#support) is attached to
> this message.
>
> The laptop computer is an old Asus EEEPC 701 netbook. The desktop
> computer is a newer Apple Mac Mini (2012 version). The most significant
> differences I can think of are:
>  - 64-bit CPU for the desktop vs. 32-bit CPU for the laptop (but I tried
>    both with a 32-bit live distribution)
>  - USB3 for the desktop vs. USB2 for the laptop.
>
> Any idea is welcome, I really want to use my smartcard on both
> computers.

I had problems on USB3 with some recent Gemalto readers.
See patch http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pcsclite-cvs-commit/2013-June/006203.html

The patch is included since CCID driver version 1.4.11.

The patch has issues in some cases and will be removed in the next
version of the driver.
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=314871&group_id=30105&atid=410086

Try again with a CCID driver version >= 1.4.11

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau