Future of the broadcom-wl package?

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 02:41:27 PST 2024

On 26.01.2024 18:45, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> does anybody still care about the broadcom-wl package in OpenWrt?
> I think it would be nice if we could get rid of it, along with the code support and abstraction for different wireless drivers.
> It would also allow us to rewrite iwinfo in ucode with nl80211 as the only supported API, which helps keep things simple.
>
> Would anybody be opposed to declaring 23.05 to be the last release to support broadcom-wl?

Go ahead and drop it!

If anyone wants that driver it should receive cfg80211 API layer so it
can be used with generic tools.

It should be quite doable and actually I know there were GPL 2 licsensed
wl_cfg80211.c files (with wl_cfg80211_add_virtual_iface() and friends)
floating around in various projects.