OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

Piotr Dymacz pepe2k at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 03:33:08 PST 2024

Hi Janusz,

On 9.01.2024 19:14, Janusz Dziedzic wrote:
> wt., 9 sty 2024 o 18:59 Daniel Golle <daniel at makrotopia.org> napisał(a):

>> > Even will be 150$ it is still good price for router with 2.4/5/6GHz
>> > (MTK base ACER predator W6 is about 200$).
>> > Or at least add extra m2 AE Key slot - then we can put there mt7916
>> > card, as possible extension (eg.
>> > https://asiarf.com/product/wi-fi-6e-m-2-ae-key-module-mt7916-aw7916-aed/).
>> > What will be price in case of this extra m2 AE Key slot?
>>
>> You can use M.2 key adapters for that
>> https://www.delock.com/produkt/63343/merkmale.html
>>
>> An additional slot is *not* an option as we got only a single PCIe lane.
>>
>> Hopefully there are also going to be single-band (6 GHz only) 4T4R or
>> even 4T5R modules based on MT7916E available at some point...
>
> Seems bpi-r4 will use two miniPCIe slots for that:
> https://wiki.banana-pi.org/Getting_Started_with_BPI-R4#4.29_Wi-Fi7_NIC
>
> If we don't have two PCIe then probably no option for 6ghz

I believe this is a preliminary approach, same as it was done with
MT7621 + MT7915 (oversized modules). As this is not compliant with the
standard and thus limiting platforms these modules will work with, I
believe the target will be embedded design only or maybe some oversized
M.2. Either way, this is a custom design.

I'm pretty sure that when MediaTek designs solutions for AP platforms
they consider only the "everything on-board" approach, even if the
BB/MAC part utilizes PCIe bus. Usually, chipsets dedicated for module
(mini PCIe or the M.2 these days) design are not part of the "AP"
product line and are focused on "STA" operation.

Anyway, some compromises had to be made.

--
Cheers,
Piotr