OpenWrt One - celebrating 20 years of OpenWrt

John Crispin john at phrozen.org
Tue Jan 9 06:31:58 PST 2024

On 09.01.24 14:51, Chuanhong Guo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2024 at 6:52 PM John Crispin <john at phrozen.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> * Why are there are 2 different flash chips?
>> - the idea is to make the device (almost!) unbrickable and very easy to
>> recover
> What about a built-in JTAG probe instead of SPI-NOR+USB-UART?
> It'll be actually unbrickable instead.
>
>> - NAND will hold the main loader (U-Boot) and the Linux image and will
>> be the default boot device
>> - NOR will be write-protected by default (with WP jumper available on
>> the board) and will hold a recovery bootloader (and other essential
>> data, like Wi-Fi calibration)
>> - a dedicated boot select switch will allow changing between NOR and NAND
>> [...]
>> * What is the purpose of the console USB-C port?
>> - Holtek UART to USB bridge with CDC-ACM support on USB-C makes the
>> device ultra easy to communicate with. No extra hardware or drivers will
>> be required. Android for example has CDC-ACM support enabled by default
> There are several MCU-based CMSIS-DAP projects out there. They can
> provide a CDC-ACM serial with a JTAG interface. It may be a bit slow if a
> USB1.1 MCU is picked, but it should be enough to start a bootloader to
> unbrick the device.
>
> Here's one with USB2.0 Hi-speed interface:
> https://github.com/cherry-embedded/CherryDAP
> The Sipeed M0S module used costs 20CNY on Taobao
> (or 2.81 USD according to google)

we looked into that kind of solution, i felt more accessible for the
wider audience to use a CDC-ACM chip. flashing using a DAP involves
knowing what JTAG is and how to use it. the idea is that the NOR uboot
has a backup copy of the NAND uboot. holding down one of the buttons
while powering on the device while BOOTSEL is on NOR will auto recover
the NAND. cannot think of a simpler solution. as for the cdc-acm chip.
we looked at the holtek, cypress and microchip components. the holtek
seems to be the easiest to source for the ODM.

     John