RFC pkgs.staging.openwrt.org

Paul Spooren mail at aparcar.org
Fri Jan 5 08:14:53 PST 2024

Hey all,

tl;dr checkout https://pkgs.staging.openwrt.org/

As some may experienced, openwrt.org is slow an one (of many reasons) is that it stores and renders tables with all packages.

Based on feedback the experience is neither convincing nor does it perform well within a DokuWiki.

After asking our fellow friends from Alpine Linux[1] respectively postmarketOS[2] I got an okay to fork and deploy the tool `apkbrowser`, which is now `pkgbrowser`[3] since it currently handles OPKG packages.

I’ll refactor and commit the update-script later, essentially it polls our buildbots and whenever a build is completed, the database is updated. For that reason some packages are still missing. With more time missing packages/archs are added.

The tool nor server are tested under load but I fell quite positive it’s more fun than our wiki implementation.

If this turns out to fly, I’ll link it in the wiki, move it to pkgs.openwrt.org and remove all package functionality from the wiki.

Thanks to Carlo Landmeter et al for implementing such a handy and adoptable tool!

Best,
Paul

[1]: http://pkgs.alpinelinux.org
[2]: https://pkgs.postmarketos.org/packages