Linux kernel 6.1 or 6.6 for OpenWrt 24.x release?

Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca luizluca at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 19:57:42 PST 2024

> >I would choose 6.1: to get more time for some things to stabilize out and because I am under the impression the kernel size is growing too fast and so we are accelerating hw obsolescence.

The firmware overall size is not the only problem. Some bootloaders
might have trouble loading larger kernels. Even today, some devices
cannot handle initramfs (kernel+rootfs). We should try to focus on
migrating more stuff into modules, which might also save some extra
RAM for drivers only needed by some devices.

Regards,

Luiz